Foundation Graphics Final Major Project

25/04/2010

Using the first product with a label that was available at hand to me, I can see that half of the wirtten contents of the Coca-Cola bottle can be taken away leaving with:

1) Branding logo
2) Ingredients
3) Nutrition Information

This will then allow me to have room to enlarge the font and play around with it. I had shorten "Ingredients" to "ING" and want to play around with short hand language; this could help to create more room within the restriced label but I fear that it may not be advisable because some people may find short hand language to understand. If I was to stay true to the product then this short hand would create a disadvantage but if the product was more contextual then maybe I do not have to feel so restricted. However the difficulties was that the ingredients took over half of the labels making no room the nutrition information. I then thought of taking away the ING and replaced it with a simple bold line top and bottom, framing the text. After playing around with the text I printed the ingredients text out because this would give me a real draft of how much space I would be able to play around with if the product was to be printed. This create reduced the text space and allowed the nutrition information to be squeezed in gently.




After playing and experiementing the different layouts that I could do for the Coca-Cola label, I reached a conclusion that this type of bottle restricts me too much to be my initial design for the project. Perhaps if I was to develope this last when I have gained a bit more experience of the labelling structure of what goes well and what doesn't. But for now I will have to leave this design and focus on something else that has a larger surface area. Perhaps I could focus on a coke can soon- that will be about 90% of the packaging available to experiement with.