Foundation Graphics Final Major Project

28/04/2010

Whilst developing my product I have realised that collaborating with someone who is visually impaired may become useful and ideal as this could help me improve and fit the needs properly instead of me presuming what is right. I have asked for a contact from a friends friend who works in the Whitechapel Gallery. She said she knew someone who was visually impaired but they had left the gallery and advised me to contact Shape (http://www.shapearts.org.uk/) for more information.

Shape is a disability-led arts organisation who run projects and arts programmes for disabled people. The organisation encourage those who are disabled and deaf to take up and leisure or life long learning opportunity making it easier and accessible.

After calling up the organisation I am told my details are passed onto the organisers and will be contacted. I hope this opportunity is given to me as collaborating with someone to develop a product will not only make the project make sense but will also allow the partner to speak out what difficulties they come across and how they would like it to be resolved. I do understand however that there are different types of visual impairment and therefore the solution may need to be altered to suit each individual. Perhaps if I had more time on the project I could possibly select a variety of people and try create a general solution to cater for everyone.