Foundation Graphics Final Major Project

16/05/2010


Letterpressing was very unsuccessful with the coloured paper because the ink wouldn't be bright enough to contrast againt it. This became very frustrating as for a product for the blind, an important detail is that the letters are sharp, precise and visibly contrasted against the paper. The only one that had become successful was the black against yellow as this was dark ink on light paper- it did not work the other way round. Travelling home I was thinking of alternative ways to create my text and went into Cass Art for any inspiration. I had thought of letter transfers (but the sizes for too small and it would be hard to create an accurate alignment of the text), stenciling (this would be the same as letter transfers and also the text would have stencil outlinings) and also reconsidered screen printing but this wasn't a successful technique as it wasn't crisp enough. I then considered printing the labels off using a printer- this would enable me to compose the text easily, have a much clearer print and most importantly have a range of colours. Although this is a cost efficient solution I fear that it is a quite boring technique and quite flat.

After printing the labels off a laserjet printer, I felt this solution was much better than the letterpressing and screenprinting because everything was clear, precise and contrasting. I began to think this was the best solution and actually quite like the effect it has, its made the label much clearer and I am able to braille into the paper. Also I was able to create a contrasting background on the title of the cans to make it stand out more and I think it works visually better as there is a main attraction to the eyes. I think it would make locating the name of the label better and faster too. Although I have enjoyed the tecnhiques of letterpressing, I wouldn't have been able to do the contrasting colours very well which is why I will continue to use the printer solution with the rest of my project. Also I was contemplating whether to use/avoid capital letters in my ingredients because the RNIB recommended to avoid using capital letters. To answer my question I called up the MertonVision Centre again asking what to do and the woman kindly advised me to use Arial typeface and type the context exactly how it is and not to change it whatsoever. And so I have done this across my labels and will do for everything else.

With the contrasting background on the main title of the label