Foundation Graphics Final Major Project

07/05/2010

Reversible label idea?



Testing out with the reversible label idea I first used the velcro to secure in place. This was good tool because when I reverse the label the velcro it is still hidden away... however the label becomes bulky and it actually makes me feel like I am dressing the tin can like a Barbie doll. It is more prone to wear and tear though seeing the nature of the removal of the label.

I next thought of the idea of using magnets to try and secure it in place, but this did not work as well as the velcro method did because when it was reversed, the positive vs. negative side of the magnets would oppose each other and it didn't work well. Plus I could imagine the magnets sticking to other tin cans which wouldn't be helpful at all.

I've started thinking about how I am going to print the background colour onto the label as I do want a smooth finishing touch to avoid the confusion of texture if I was to put braille on. I have experimented with rolling the colour on but this created a slight testure after the roller... I then tried another type of roller and this result came out slightly better but it still had texture. Also it left a matt texture which I'm not too keen about because it makes the product quite dull and not vibrant. It may be because of the colours I am using to test out because they are quite pastel based... which I am determined to brighten up. Finally I watered down some acrylic and used a brush to paint it on which came out a much smoother texture then the other two however the strokes of the brush came be seen... this may be resolved by using a bigger brush. I can imagine the strokes still being seen and will still not achieve the smooth texture that is desired. I feel looking back at my test pieces just made I need to think of what type of paper to use, colour, medium to paint it with and whether to reuse the label and make it reversible- I am going to discard the idea of reversing the label because I feel it brings no use to the product and project. Also the technique of making it reversible (i.e. using velcro or magnets) will remove sense of the product being a tinned can of food. The removal of the label is already difficult as I am constantly tearing the ends therefore making the attachment of the velcro/magnets impossible almost.