Foundation Graphics Final Major Project

11/04/2010

Let's Walk to the Shops Experiment

Today I thought it would be a good experience to walk to the shops and buy something without wearing my lenses. It was quite a difficult experience and quite painfully straining (but thats because I'm constantly trying to put my vision back into focus). I remember not trusting much on my sight and noticing how everything around me seemed to be louder (as I was depending on my other senses). Whilst crossing the roads I would actually look left AND right (I should be doing this anyway...) but with more caution. Whilst in the shop... with the amount of chocolate bars stacked together it did take me a while to find the Snickers bar... and the colours just seemed to blur together. Paying for the chocolate, I noticed how the 50p and the 10p looked and felt the same to be... and it was only when I looked closer that I saw the ridged corners... I felt misled by my touch senses.

I felt the experience has made me think more whether to allow users to experience my final piece just how a person with visual impairment will do. I think it will create such a great understand for everyone and it will become very educational and just a good experience. How do you know if the product is successful if you can visualise it through the eyes of the intentional user?